Job Posting: PRESS SECRETARY / DEPUTY PRESS SECRETARY
PRESS SECRETARY / DEPUTY PRESS SECRETARY
OFFICE of CONGRESSWOMAN AYANNA PRESSLEY
The Press Secretary/Deputy Press Secretary works closely with the Communications Director to execute a fast-paced and dynamic communication plan and help manage day to day relationships with local and national media.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support implementation of media, public relations, and communications strategies for the Congresswoman;
- Draft press releases, talking points, speeches, op-eds, newsletters, questionnaires, and other written materials;
- Compile daily press clips and stay informed about current events in the district and across the country for their impact on the Congresswoman;
- Manage and catalogue incoming media requests for the Congresswoman and notify the Communications Director accordingly;
- Maintain various press archives for the Congresswoman;
- Manage logistics for town halls, press conferences, and other public-facing events, both virtual and in-person;
- Remain abreast of current legislative and non-legislative issues about which the Congresswoman may be questioned;
- Maintain a good working relationship with the Congresswoman, staff, and constituents;
- Work well under pressure, handles stress, and accepts performance-based criticism and direction;
- Support on administrative functions of the office as needed such as constituent calls and data entry
- Work flexible schedule including long hours, nights and weekends, and performs other duties as assigned.
Our office prioritizes building a diverse team committed to advocating for the residents of the Massachusetts 7th. 2-4 years of communications experience is recommended. As a practice as an office we do not require any pre-requisite degrees. This is not an entry level position. Ties to Massachusetts preferred, but not required.
Please expand on how your unique set of experiences suits you to excel in this role in your cover letter.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Strong communications skills, including writing, editing, and proofreading;
- Understanding of print, broadcast, and online media;
- Strong organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple tasks at once;
- Knowledge of current issues and events in which the Congresswoman is involved;
- Ability to exercise discretion in the representation of the Congresswoman's position on policy issues;
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others, including members of the press;
- Work is mainly performed in an office environment. Noise levels are usually moderate; and
- Ability to work in small a workstation without an expectation of privacy.
- At time of posting, partial remote work is advised. COVID-19 precautions and remote work expectations can be discussed during the interview process.
- This role is based in Washington, D.C. and requires as-needed travel to Massachusetts.
The salary for the position is $53,000, along with a competitive benefits package that includes health insurance, dental, federal student loan payments (terms apply) and 15 weeks of paid FMLA.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume, cover letter, 2 writing samples and 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “Press Secretary / Deputy Press Secretary”.