Job Posting: Constituent Advocate
OFFICE OF CONGRESSWOMAN AYANNA PRESSLEY
The Constituent Advocate plays a critical and highly visible role in the Massachusetts’ 7th Congressional District. This staffer is responsible for effectively and efficiently supporting our constituents consistent with the Office’s commitment to equity. This staffer manages a robust casework portfolio which includes trauma, public safety, incarceration, harassment, veterans affairs, and family welfare as well as other issues as assigned. This staffer represents the Congresswoman at local community events and meetings and monitors and updates the Member and District Director on assigned local issues. Additionally this staffer shared administrative responsibilities with other members of the district staff and works closely with federal, municipal and state government agencies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works directly with constituents and community members to deliver responsive and timely casework support.
- Answers casework correspondence, meets with constituents and advocates, and serves as a liaison with federal, district, and local agencies.
- Plans and executes community events including town halls, listening sessions, and mutual aid events, in collaboration with other members of the district team.
- Assesses casework for problems requiring legislative action and makes recommendations to the District Director, Chief of Staff and Legislative Director.
- Monitors scheduled district meetings for the Member with constituents.
- Screens and refers cases, when appropriate, to other district offices.
- Supports on general office matters such as logging incoming and outgoing correspondence, greeting visitors, answering telephone calls.
- Logs in all incoming and outgoing mail and incoming telephone calls related to casework.
- Prepares periodic reports for the District Director on pending cases and district activities in his or her assigned issue areas.
- Trains other staff and interns to handle office matters such as logging incoming and outgoing correspondence, handling visitors, telephone calls, and computer operations.
- Coordinates Youth Advisory Council and manages internship program when offered.
- Accepts performance-based criticism and direction.
- Meets attendance requirements as established by the office.
- Works well under pressure and handles stress.
- Works a flexible schedule including long hours, nights, and weekends.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Our office prioritizes building a diverse team committed to advocating for the residents of the Massachusetts 7th. 2-4 years of campaign, organizing, or policy experience recommended. As a practice as an office we do not require any pre-requisite degrees. Residency in or strong ties to the Massachusetts’ 7th are preferred.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Strong communications and constituent service skills.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and differing deadlines.
- A commitment to the inclusive and progressive values of the office.
- Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment in the representation of the Congresswoman's position on issues.
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with colleagues, elected officials, community members, and advocates.
- Field duties require work during regular office hours and some nights and weekends. Additionally, employee must be able to travel within Massachusetts 25% of the time and hold a valid driver’s license.
- Consistent access to a car is a desired.
- Staff must be able to work in a moderately noisy and crowded work environment without an expectation of privacy.
- Work is mainly performed in an office environment. Noise levels are usually moderate
- Ability to work in small a work station without an expectation of privacy.
- At time of posting, maximum remote work is advised. COVID 19 precautions and remote work expectations can be discussed during the interview process.
- This role is based in Boston, MA.
The salary for the position is $48k, along with a competitive benefits package that includes health insurance, dental, federal student loan payments (terms apply) and 12 weeks of paid FMLA.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your resume, cover letter, 1 writing sample and a list of 3 references to email@example.com.