Job Posting: STAFF ASSISTANT
OFFICE of CONGRESSWOMAN AYANNA PRESSLEY
The Staff Assistant plays a critical role supporting our constituents and providing crucial administrative support to the daily work of the Congresswoman’s office. The Staff Assistant oversees the daily operations of the front office, answers the telephone and manages constituent requests for general information, tours, and meeting requests. This position also assists with various administrative and duties at the request of the Congresswoman, the Chief of Staff, the Director of Scheduling, and the Legislative Director. This position reports directly to the Director of Scheduling.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages incoming calls and documents constituent opinions on issues communicated via telephone, sorts incoming mail and ensures that all requests for assistance are directed to the appropriate staff member in a timely manner;
- Oversees a fast-paced front office with the goal of a positive and inclusive visitor/constituent experience;
- Welcomes guests, constituents and other stakeholders in a warm and professional manner and helps seat meetings in a timely manner for Member and relevant staff.
- Provides staff-led tours of the Capitol for constituents and other guests and processes requests for tours of the White House, Library of Congress, Bureau of Printing and Engraving and flag requests;
- Assists legislative staff with drafting responses to constituent letters and other requests via email and mail;
- Provides ongoing up to date information on community events and local happenings and generates ideas for press, mass mailings, and newsletters;
- Performs special projects assigned by the Director of Scheduling;
- Maintains a good working relationship with the Congresswoman, staff and constituents;
- Team player with the ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others;
- Accepts performance-based feedback and direction;
- Works well under pressure, able to multitask and meet multiple deadlines in a fast paced and high stress environment;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Our office prioritizes building a diverse team committed to advocating for the residents of the Massachusetts 7th. 1-3 years of campaign, organizing, or administrative experience recommended. As a practice as an office we do not require any pre-requisite degrees.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Experience in customer service or advocacy/organizing
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Strong communications and constituent service skills;
- A commitment to the inclusive and progressive values of the office;
- Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment in the representation of the Congresswoman’s position on issues;
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with colleagues, elected officials, community members, and advocates;
- Work is mainly performed in an office environment. Noise levels are usually moderate; and
- Ability to work in a small work station without an expectation of privacy.
- Proof of COVID 19 vaccine & booster is required prior to start date.
- At time of posting, hybrid work is advised. COVID 19 protocols can be discussed during the interview process.
- This role is based in Washington, D.C.
The salary for the position is $55k, along with a competitive benefits package that includes health insurance, dental, federal student loan repayment stipend (terms apply) and 16 weeks of paid FMLA.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your resume, cover letter, 1 writing sample and a list of 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.