JOB POSTING: Staff Assistant (District)
OFFICE of CONGRESSWOMAN AYANNA PRESSLEY
The Staff Assistant plays a critical role supporting our constituents and providing crucial administrative support to the daily work of the Congresswoman’s office. The Staff Assistant oversees the daily operations of the front office, answers the telephone, and manages housing casework and other constituent requests. This position also assists with various administrative duties at the request of the Congresswoman, the District Director, and Deputy District Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages housing casework, incoming calls and documents constituent opinions on issues communicated via telephone, sorts incoming mail and ensures that all requests for assistance are directed to the appropriate staff member in a timely manner;
- Works directly with constituents and community members to deliver responsive and timely casework support.
- Answers casework correspondence meets with constituents and advocates, and serves as a liaison with federal, state, and local agencies.
- Assists with driving the Congresswoman as needed.
- Assist in planning community events including town halls, listening sessions, and mutual aid events, in collaboration with other members of the district team.
- Assesses casework for problems requiring legislative action and makes recommendations to the District Director, Chief of Staff and Legislative Director.
- Monitors scheduled district meetings for the Congresswoman with constituents.
- Supports on general office matters such as logging incoming and outgoing correspondence, greeting visitors, answering telephone calls.
- Logs in all incoming and outgoing mail and incoming telephone calls related to casework.
- Prepares periodic reports for the Congresswoman and the District Director on pending cases and district activities in his or her assigned issue areas.
- Trains other staff and interns to handle office matters such as logging incoming and outgoing correspondence, handling visitors, telephone calls, and computer operations.
- Manages the Boston internship program and Coordinates Youth Advisory Council and
- Accepts performance-based criticism and direction.
- Team player with the ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others;
- Works well under pressure.
- Works a flexible schedule including long hours, nights, and weekends.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Our office prioritizes building a diverse team committed to advocating for the residents of the Massachusetts 7th. 1-3 years of campaign, organizing, or administrative experience recommended. As a practice as an office, we do not require any pre-requisite degrees.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
Experience in customer service or advocacy/organizing
Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
Strong communications and constituent service skills;
A commitment to the inclusive and progressive values of the office;
Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment in the representation of the Congresswoman’s position on issues;
Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with colleagues, elected officials, community members, and advocates;
- Field duties require work during regular office hours and some nights and weekends. Additionally, employee must be able to travel within Massachusetts 25% of the time and hold a valid driver’s license.
- Consistent access to a car is required.
- Work is mainly performed in an office environment. Noise levels are usually moderate
- Ability to work in small a workstation without an expectation of privacy.
- At time of posting, hybrid work is advised. COVID 19 protocols can be discussed during the interview process.
- Proof of COVID 19 vaccine & booster is required prior to start date.
- This role is based in Boston, MA.
The salary for the position is $55k, along with a competitive benefits package that includes health insurance, dental, federal student loan repayment stipend (terms apply) and 16 weeks of paid FMLA.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your resume, cover letter, 1 writing sample and a list of 2 references to email@example.com.