Job Posting: Legislative Assistant
OFFICE OF CONGRESSWOMAN AYANNA PRESSLEY
The Legislative Assistant manages a diverse portfolio of key issues for the office including the economic justice, consumer protection, housing, small business and supporting the member on her assignment to the Committee on Financial Services. This role reports directly to the Legislative Director.
Have experience working in public policy and advocacy and have demonstrated experience advancing legislation, monitoring the House floor and conducting research. You are committed to the progressive values of the office and enjoy working in a fast-paced setting and engaging members of the community, advocates and activists in our legislative work. You believe in shared power and cooperative governing. You have a set of professional and lived experiences that equip you well to serve the Massachusetts 7th and you believe that every person has a contribution to make to our legislative agenda.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Draft legislation, conduct research, draft talking points, speeches, memos and Congressional oversight letters in partnership with the Legislative Director;
- Staff the Congresswoman on hearings, floor activity and events;
- Work closely with the Legislative Director and Chief of Staff to effectively communicate and advance key legislative priorities and accomplishments;
- Manage relationships with a large number of local, state and national advocates;
- Maintains a good working relationship with the Congresswoman, staff, advocates, and constituents;
- Works well under pressure, can manage multiple projects and in a team setting;
- Accepts performance-based criticism and direction;
- Works a flexible schedule including long hours, nights and weekends; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Our office prioritizes building a diverse team committed to advocating for the residents of the Massachusetts 7th. 2-3 years of policy, organizing, or advocacy experience in the financial services/consumer protection/economic justice policy space recommended. As a practice as an office we do not require any pre-requisite degrees. Please expand on how your unique set of experiences suits you to excel in this role in your cover letter. This is not an entry level position.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Strong policy analysis skills;
- Knowledge of the legislative process, procedures and organization of the House;
- Demonstrated experiencing advancing legislation and proposing solutions through policy;
- Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment in the representation of the Congresswoman’s position on policy issues;
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with colleagues, community members, and advocates;
- Work is mainly performed in an office environment. Noise levels are usually moderate; and
- Ability to work in a small work station without an expectation of privacy.
- At time of posting, maximum remote work is advised. COVID 19 precautions and remote work expectations can be discussed during the interview process.
- This role is based in Washington, D.C.
The salary for the position is $60k, along with a competitive benefits package that includes health insurance, dental, federal student loan payments (terms apply) and 15 weeks of paid FMLA.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume, cover letter and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Legislative Assistant”