Job Description: Press Secretary/Communications Director
PRESS SECRETARY/COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
OFFICE OF CONGRESSWOMAN AYANNA PRESSLEY
The Communications Director works closely with the Congresswoman and members of the team to craft a dynamic communication plan and manage day to day relationships with local and national media. This role reports directly to the Chief of Staff.
Have a passion for storytelling and are committed to the progressive values of the office. You enjoy working in a fast-paced setting and engaging members of the community, advocates and activists in our communications work. You believe in shared power and cooperative governing. You have a set of professional and lived experiences that equip you well to serve the Massachusetts 7th and you believe that every person has a story to tell and a contribution to make.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Acts as a spokesperson for the Congresswoman;
- Develops and implements media, communications, and public relations strategies for the Congresswoman;
- Works closely with the Legislative Director and Chief of Staff to effectively communicate key legislative priorities and accomplishments;
- Manages a highly engaging social media program, responding in real time
- Oversees the creation and distribution of the Congresswoman’s newsletters and questionnaires;
- Maintains a good working relationship with the Congresswoman, staff, media, and constituents;
- Travels with the Congresswoman, to the district and across the country as required
- Manages the Press Assistant
- Works well under pressure;
- Accepts performance-based criticism and direction;
- Works a flexible schedule including long hours, nights and weekends; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Our office prioritizes building a diverse team committed to advocating for the resident of the Massachusetts 7th. 5-7 years of communications, campaign, organizing, or advocacy experience recommended. As a practice as an office we do not require any pre-requisite degrees. Please expand on how your unique set of experiences suits you to excel in this role in your cover letter.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Extensive experience with major social media platforms
- Understanding of print, broadcast, and online media;
- Knowledge of the legislative process, procedures and organization of the House;
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the representation of the Congresswoman's position on policy issues;
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with colleagues, press, community members, and advocates;
- Work is mainly performed in an office environment. Noise levels are usually moderate; and
- Ability to work in a small work station without an expectation of privacy.
The salary for the position is $85k, along with a competitive benefits package that includes health insurance, dental, federal student loan payments (terms apply) and 12 weeks of paid FMLA.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume, cover letter and 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “Press Secretary/Comms Director”